You can search for words by means of their part of speech using TDT’s Search Function. Use the icon located in the upper toolbar.
With TDT you get a list of all the verbs, nouns, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, interjections or conjunctions in our Dictionaries. Articles and pronouns are also available for searching.
- For instance, if you want a list of all verbs starting with “b”,
See the results in the left lower window of the program: 9731 verbs are listed there. These include both transitive and intransitive verb, as well as single and compound (phrasal verbs).
- Click on
- Select the “Part of Speech Tag” on the top options
- Select Verb [all]
- Click “OK”
- Enter b* (b plus asterisk) in the main Entry Box
- If you want to restrict your results to display only single verbs, excluding all phrasal verbs, go back to the Search Options and select “Other Options”. Then click on “Single Words Only”, click OK and type in b* [ENTER]
Notice that the results list is now limited to 432 hits. All phrasal verbs have been left out.
- Now, suppose that you still want to be more selective and require a list of Intransitive Single Verbs only, no Transitives. Go back to the Search Options , click on Part of Speech and select Verbs. Then, instead of “all”, open the Combo Box and choose “Intransitive Verbs.”
The results listed now are only 114.